The Second Meeting of NOWPAP Working Group 3 (WG3)
The Second Meeting of NOWPAP Working Group 3 (WG3) was held on 25-26 November 2004 in Qingdao, People's Republic of China. The meeting reviewed the progress of National Reports, the status of the development of the HAB Reference Database, and the activities of the "Cochlodinium Corresponding Group".
||25-26 November 2004
||Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Science (IOCAS)
Qingdao, People's Republic of China
||Experts of NOWPAP WG3, Invited Guests and Secretariat
|Summary of the meeting :
- Overview of the WG3 activities and budgets
- The CEARAC Secretariat explained the report of CEARAC activities for 2002/2003 and the planned activities for 2004/2005.
- Review on the progress made on the National Reports on HAB WG3
- Report on the draft National Reports
- Dr. Songhui LU presented the draft of the National Report of China.
- Dr. Osamu MATSUDA presented the draft of the National Report of Japan.
- Dr. Chang-Kyu LEE presented the draft of the National Report of Korea.
- Dr. Tatiana ORLOVA presented the draft of the National Report of Russia.
- Review and agreement of the guidelines for the National Report
- In order to keep the format of the National Reports in common among the four members and to make better use of the National Report for compiling the Integrated Report, the Secretariat reminded the meeting of the guidelines for the National Report and invited a discussion about the adequacy of the guidelines.
- The meeting agreed to review the guideline for the National Report and also agreed to continue working on the National Report in accordance with the agreed schedule.
- Discussion about the contents of the Integrated Report
- The Secretariat made a proposal of the contents of the Integrated Report.
- The meeting discussed and agreed on the proposal for the contents to combine the National Reports into the Integrated Report.
- Review on the development of the HAB Reference Database
- The Secretariat reported the current progresses of CEARAC activities on development of the HAB Reference Database.
- The meeting agreed
- The Database will have 6 categories for scientific publications for searching source information of the publications.
- TCategorization of publications for toxin-producing plankton will be conducted in the future.
- TThe Database should be developed not only for scientists but also for people who are interested in the environmental problems and working in NGOs.
- Activities of "Cochlodinium Corresponding Group (CCG)"
- The Secretariat reported on the current situation of CCG activities, which was established in the 1st WG3 Meeting in order to treat problems of Cochlodinium, one of the most concerned plankton in the NOWPAP Region.
- CCG was organized by 11 experts (1 expert from China; 4 from Japan; 4 from Korea; 2 from Russia). The co-chairpersons of the group are Dr. Hak-Gyoon KIM (National Fisheries Research & Development Institute, Korea) and Dr. Yasuwo FUKUYO (The University of Tokyo, Japan).
- CCG will make a homepage and pamphlet for informing about Cochlodinium problems.
See Report of the Second Meeting of NOWPAP Working Group 3